Thursday, January 3, 2008

Taxi

Last evening, I board a SMRT taxi from Grand Hyatt back home. The conversation was most frustrating - think the taxi driver wants the best of the whole world. He asked me, want to go through the ERP at Far East so I said yes no problem to pay more. Then I said (blame my own big mouth), some of the passengers are not willing to pay for the ERP and go a longer way which takes up more time. Then the driver started - you cannot like that say, you know some people are not rich (in my mind is, not rich then don't take but if you are already in a hurry to get from one destination to another, will you really bother about the few dollars more?).... and kept insisting that the authority could have done better than just allow the price of the cabs to go up, etc..... Then he said that you know taxi drivers also got family and it is very tough for them..... So where is his standing point? I guess he is saying that the taxi drivers are suffering as people are feeling the pinch and will take lesser cabs rides.

And he is so stubborn - I am a communter and have tried to call for a cab for 2 hours in my office but was told there is no taxi by not just one but a few taxi companies. But yet, he can still tell me that I am young and without a family that is why I do not understand. What an insult to me, just because I am willing to pay for the cab does not mean that I am young and do not respect the value of money..... To me, if that uncle is so unhappy with driving the cab, then return the cab to the company and get employed....

But good lesson for me also.... Dun talk to STRANGERS....

No comments: